- Outside Diameter: 6" long by 5.75" wide. (That's a straight line from edge to edge of the brim.)
- The Inside Diameter: 4" long by 3.75" wide. (That's a straight line from one side of the head hole to the other side of the head hole.)
- Outside Crown Circumference: 12.5" (That's all the way around the crown.)
- a spray bottle of water
- some straight (sewing) pins OR 6 pinchy style clothes pins and 3 craft (popsicle) sticks.
- And something to decorate your hat. Braided trim, marabou, ribbon, cord, feathers, buttons, charms, gears, or whatever makes you happy.
Repeat this step 1 or 2 more times, until the brim is soft and flexible.
Don't over saturate it! Moist is good. Wet and soggy is bad and makes it hard to work with. If it gets too wet, let it dry a few minutes before you continue.
Fold up 3 sides of the brim to make a triangle shape and stick the pins through the brim and into the crown of the hat. The pins will hold the brim in place while it dries.
This is what it will look like from the top.
Notice how the hat is oval shaped. Make sure the brim on the back (short) side is straight and the 2 other (long) sides angle toward the front to form a gentle point. (The brim on this hat is very small so it won't be as pointy as Felicity's tricorn hat.)
Let the hat dry, checking it periodically for the first hour or 2, to make sure the pins don't pull out and that it's drying nicely and keeping it's shape.
Pro: You won't have to watch it dry and it makes a nice crisp brim.
Con: It may leave marks and creases on your hat. The trim you add may cover the marks but maybe not.Let the hat dry completely, about 24 hours.
Glue your trim of choice all the way around the edge of the brim. (Start and finish gluing on the side where you plan to add your decoration.) Let the glue dry.Add your decorations of choice. (Use a pinchy style clothes pin to hold things in place as the glue dries.)
I added a plume of feathers and a tiny cameo button. (The button had a shank which I cut off with wire cutters.)
I highly recommend Fabri-Tac glue. It grabs tight so trims don't slide around while your working and it dries fast and clear.
Wear your hat proudly!